Monday, November 7, 2011

Are you ready for some football...

I married a football fan. I still find it hard to believe or better yet, it is a challenge for me to admit. But I guess I just did - so I must be getting over it. Living in the San Diego area makes us Charger fans. I know the team song. Yes, there is a team song. I know the coach's name and the past coaches, the major players, memorable moments of victory and those of devastating heartbreak. I know way too much.

Before we had kids I would take Sundays off. Which meant going out and doing all the things I enjoyed most. I'd be thrifting, at the art museum, crafting, gardening, on a hike or spending my down time reading. As you all know once you throw children into the equation we tend to plan our weekend festivities around nap time and their interests.

Since I can no longer take Sundays off I have turned the day into a day of feasting. One where I spend a good portion of the day cooking and baking. Ryder has taken a real interest in any activity taking place in the kitchen and has become my little sous chef. Together we measure, chop and mix while creating a grand mess along the way. I have found that I actually enjoy being home on Sundays. I am no longer running from the constant referee whistle that echoes through the house from play to play. I spend game time preparing a nourshing meal surrounded by my family in the warmth of our home. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

With this said, I wanted to share with you my latest "Football" recipe.



Simple Tomato Chicken + Rice Soup

What you will need:

3 organic skinless + boneless chicken breasts
1 large can of whole peeled tomatoes
2 ripe avocados
a package of Trader Joe's Brown Rice Medley
1 large sweet potato {peeled + cubed}
1 yellow onion {chop}
3 cloves of garlic {peeled and crushed}
2 boxes of Trader Joe's Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth {seriously the best broth out there}
2-3 bay leaves
salt + pepper
dash of Italian spices
1/8 teaspoon of baking soda {cuts the acidity of the tomatoes} FYI - sugar is a myth!

Prepare 1 cup of rice as directed. While rice is cooking you may prepare the other ingredients. I like to use a 5 quart enamel cast iron pot for soup. Boil the whole chicken breasts in water until throughly cooked. Drain and set aside to cool. In the same pot sauté onion and garlic with a dash of chicken broth until translucent. Add cubed sweet potatoes. Take the cooled chicken breasts and pull apart into hearty bite size pieces. Add to pot. Empty liquid contents of canned tomatoes into pot - chop tomatoes into large chunks and add to pot along with any drippings. Add chicken broth. Salt and pepper to taste while adding bay leaves, spices, and baking soda. Add the rice once it is done. Let pot simmer on stove for a couple of hours. Upon serving, place a handful of avocado chunks into your bowl of soup.

I always think that soup tastes best the next day so try to make sure you have plenty of leftovers. Enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. so excited for this recipe... I have exhausted all my soup tricks and even I am getting tired of them...
    miss you today at the Pannikin... it was so nice to be among the living.

    ReplyDelete